Friday, April 29, 2011

Craspedia aka Billy Balls

It really is a cute flower. Different, simple, and bold in its' color. It is, however, about $30 a bunch. And yes, a bunch only has 10 stems. You do the math.

In prepping for my sister-in-law's wedding, she had the brilliant idea to create them ourselves. I was, of course, super excited to find the perfect substitute at Joann's today! They had a bag of about 40 balls for $3.99! I also bought some brown cloth stem wire ($1.99) and together they look just as good, if not better than Craspedia! Now $6 for 40 stems is a much better deal.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's finally finished!

Honestly, I was beginning to think this day would not come. My biggest undertaking, and probably my favorite craft yet is finally finished. After seeing the chandelier on a blog I follow, I decided it was a MUST for Addie's new room. I'm not going to lie... it was a lot of work, but I am so happy with how it turned out!

So simple! All you need is...
-sewing machine (or one you can borrow)
-circle cutter (I set mine to 2 inches)
-2 rolls of wax paper
-some parchment paper
-wire basket or old wire lampshade
-and time =)

1. Iron 3 pieces of wax paper(mine were about 2 feet long) together by placing them between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Iron until all your wax paper is gone.

2. Cut out as many as circles as you can. I used this circle cutter. Feel free to borrow it if you like!

3. Sew circles together, one after another, to your desired length. I did 20 circle strands.

4. Fold the strands in half and hang them over the basket.

{wire flower basket and MANY strands of sewn wax circles}

{The completed piece... I can't wait to decorate the rest of her room}

{even better with the light on}

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Giddy Up!

Hey cowgirls (and maybe a cowboy or two out there reading this)! Last year my Mom and I stumbled upon some fun fabric. My favorite fabric store was out of some of the fabric we needed, so we hit up to web to get the rest. We had a BIG project in mind (hence the year ago start date) and were going to need a lot of fabric.

My Mom is into the grand kids matching. I totally understand this and appreciate the beautiful clothes she buys for the little ones. So of course, when we first saw this fabric ( I know, the anticipation is building!!) we couldn't just make one outfit. We decided all 4 grand kids needed to match. We went back to our favorite Knotted Apron Dress pattern and found a pattern for Beano.

Last week, my Mom and I traveled to MN to visit my sister. We were finally going to tackled this year long project. With my Mom's trusty sewing machine by our side, we managed to accomplish our goal. Three dresses and one vest in six hours!
{we did some cutting before heading up to MN}


{Adeline wanting to help}

{the finished bodice}

{Ben's manly vest}

{Cousins... Ben's vest wasn't done yet}

{close up of the dress}

{Ben is still getting use to wearing a vest}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...