Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Jersey Upcycle


So I have this dress. It was $4 and great while it lasted... which wasn't too long. First, I was asked if I was pregnant while wearing it. Mark #1 against it. Second, some cute baby cheeks got some Vaseline on the shoulder. Mark #2. Let's face it, at $4, this dress wasn't meant to have a long life. I stumbled upon this while looking for inspiration one day. Not quite what I was looking for, but I liked the braids. So this is what I came up with...

I took the dress and cut up strips from the skirt of the dress.

Next, I stitched three of the strips together at one end.


Let the braiding begin! Pinning it to a pillow made it a lot easier. The braiding actually took a pretty decent amount of time. I had to come back to this project multiple times.

10 braids in total came out of the dress.


After all the braiding, I stitched the two ends together to make a loop.


Finally, I gathered the 10 finished loops and sewed a band of the remaining fabric around them. I then turned the band inside out to hide the stitching. Ta da!

Little did I know that this kiddo would not let me take it back from her!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...